We use this to describe something that we started doing in the past and that we are still doing now.
1. I have been living in Florence since 2010.
2. I have been teaching English since 2011.
3. My cousin has been searching for a new job for 5 months.
4. My co-worker has been trying to fix his internet connection since 9am.
5. Our clients have been waiting for us for 40 minutes.
6. The priest told me that he has been thinking about you and your family for days.
7. My friend has been waiting for her test results for 5 days.
8. I have been booking my hotels exclusively on hotels.com for about 3 years.
9. We have been living together for 5 years.
10. You have been making the same mistakes since the first lesson.